• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ubuntu dark theme, Beersmith has white text on white backgrounds.

A

adempewolff

I'm using Beersmith 3.1.08 on Ubuntu 20.04.2.

When setting a system level dark theme (I think it's "Yaru Dark") in the gnome/ubuntu settings Appearance Tab, Beersmith sets the text color in all text boxes to white, but only changes the background color of some text boxes to black, leaving others with white text on a white (or light yellow) background.  See attachments.

Is it possible to have Beersmith ignore system level themes (which I'm guessing are some GTK or X11 environmental variable that it is reading) if it isn't compatible with them?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-14.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-14.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-54.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-54.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-54.png
    Screenshot from 2021-06-19 20-17-54.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 231
I'm using Beersmith 3.1.08 on Ubuntu 20.04.2.

When setting a system level dark theme (I think it's "Yaru Dark") in the gnome/ubuntu settings Appearance Tab, Beersmith sets the text color in all text boxes to white, but only changes the background color of some text boxes to black, leaving others with white text on a white (or light yellow) background. See attachments.

Is it possible to have Beersmith ignore system level themes (which I'm guessing are some GTK or X11 environmental variable that it is reading) if it isn't compatible with them?

I had this same problem and found a workaround. We can force beersmith to use a different theme by creating a .desktop shortcut file, this is mine:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Buckets
Exec=env GTK_THEME="Adwaita" /usr/bin/beersmith3 %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=beersmith3
StartupWMClass=Beersmith3
Comment=Beersmith3
Categories=Homebrewing

The magic sauce is the
Code:
GTK_THEME="Adwaita"
which tells beersmith3 to use that theme and ignore the system theme.

Back