• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling Recipes

danielfoleary

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to BeerSmith and need some help. I entered a recipe from a kit designed for a 70% efficiency standard 5 gal set up. I scaled up to 6 gal and changed the system to my Spike Trio 10 gallon system. BeerSmith changed all the quantities for me. Why did my hop additions go down in quantity when the batch size went up a gal?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The scaling tool works great with recipes designed in BeerSmith. Accurate scaling is dependent on information from the equipment profile used in the original recipe and your equipment profile. Unfortunately, the instructions for kits, and many recipes you find, are lacking most of the information needed for scaling, so the tool can only work with what little information you've entered from the kit instructions. Best bet is to forget using the tool unless you're scaling a BeerSmith recipe.

I a similar question, how can I tell if the recipe was built in BS? I don't see an extension or other indicator of a file type.

Thanks
( Yes, I'm new to BeerSmith )

If the recipe file opens in BeerSmith, it's a BeerSmith recipe. An example would be a recipe you find using BeerSmith's cloud search.

I am new to BeerSmith and need some help. I entered a recipe from a kit designed for a 70% efficiency standard 5 gal set up. I scaled up to 6 gal and changed the system to my Spike Trio 10 gallon system. BeerSmith changed all the quantities for me. Why did my hop additions go down in quantity when the batch size went up a gal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Trying to scale a two-layer cake, 9" layers, to fit two 7" pans. The way I am figuring it: The original recipe is approx. 40 ounces of batter. I am multiplying 40 x 7 and dividing by 9, coming up with approximately 31 ounces of batter for the 7-inch layers. Is this the correct formula to scale recipes, taking the diameter of the pan (or area in the case of square/rectangular pans) and the ingredient amount, and cross multiply/dividing? On paper, it would look like this: 40/9 and 31/7. Cross multiply top (40) to bottom (7) and divide by the other diameter (9) to come up with 31 ounces for the 7" pans. If there is a better way to scale recipes, please share! Thank you!!

I would keep it simple, don't use the tool. I do not use Beersmith so don't know the tool.
You are scaling up by 20% (1 gallon / 5 gallon).
Just add 20% more to all ingredients.

Back