• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brix to SG

T

THE_DRUNK_ARAB

Hi Brad, does BeerSmith Ver1.2 have a brix to gravity units calculation or only plato to gravity units?

Cheers
Mark

Well,
 Technically Brix and Plato are two ways of measuring the same thing.  Both measure the percent of sugar by weight in a solution.

The confusion comes in when you use a brix refractometer because a refractometer is calibrated to measure sugar (sucrose) in water, not complex sugars in wort or sugars combined with alcohol.  That's why you need to use the refractometer tool in BeerSmith to convert your brix measurements to OG/FG and so on.  The differences may be small when measuring OG, but once fermentation starts you have alcohol in the solution which is much less dense than water - this basically throws the whole thing off unless you adjust using the refractometer tool.

I hope this helps a bit...

Cheers!
Brad

???
I'm having some problems with the conversion tool.  On my lastest Dopplebock, the refract read 22 Brix for the cooled wort.  I converted that to 21.16 Plato with the Refract Tool in Beersmith.  Now, I'm trying to check the fermenting gravity with the refractometer.  I got a reading of 10.4 Brix, which converts to 3.17 Plato with the tool.  My bottling hydrometer reads 1.020 on the same fermented wort which is 5.08 Plato.  I tend to trust my hydrometer more but am wonder why there is a discrepancy between the readings?
Warren

What are you using as an OG in the tool while you are trying to calc the fermenting gravity.  I assume the refractometer and SG are from the same sample?

Fred

Clarification of my earlier post:
The OG is 21.16 Plato and entered in the Tool in Beersmith.
The 10.4 Brix from my refractometer and the 1.020 from my bottling hydrometer are measures of the same sample.

I use Brix, Plato and specific gravity interchangeably depending on which instrument I pick up.  Conversion tools are awesome, when they work. (My appology in advance if I'm not using the BS tool correctly)  
Warren

Warren,
 Is it possible you did not calibrate the refractometer against your hydrometer before using it?  One obvious thing I notice is that you are using the default calibrations.

Click on the "Calibrate Refractometer Settings" button in the Refractometer tool and follow the instructions there to set the calibration settings.  These can make a large difference on the output.

I ran all of the calculations through by hand and they are correct.  In fact I ran them through some other people's refractometer calculators and they also came out the same.  

Please check the calibration.

Cheers!
Brad

Calibrating the tooll helped.  I also forgot to take the temps of the liquids I checked.  All the readings are much closer now.  Thanks.
Warren

Warren,
 I'm glad to hear it all worked out.  Please let me know if there is anything I can help with in the future!

Brad

Back