• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling a batch

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I know there is a "Scale Recipe" button in BeerSmith. I works, at least in my opinion, very well as I've used it many times.

However, recently I've discovered another way to scale a recipe. Copy the existing recipe to a new name. In the new recipe change the batch size to the new batch size and set equipment to the new batch size. May have to tweak SG, IBUs, SRM, ABV a bit.

The tweaking are the same as if I used the "Scale Recipe" button.

My question, is there a difference in the final conversion between the "Scale Recipe" button and the one I write about in the 2nd paragraph?

Thanks.

With the Scale Recipe function you have the option of matching color, gravity and bitterness, simply by checking a box.

Even when using scaling I often need to tweak the scaled recipe to match.

That's why BeerSmith gives you the option. You will find that it's not always practical. If your scaling to a similar batch size and efficiency, it usually works well. For more extreme changes, it may not. As you use BeerSmith, you'll find that it gives you control by offering many options. You're the brewer, so which ones you use is always your choice. 

But I still don't see a difference as I noted in my original post.

The problem with just adjusting batch size (option 2 in OP) versus using scale recipe is that when you change the batch size it won't automatically change any of the other parameters such as system losses in the equipment to match.  So in most cases simply adjusting batch size won't give you a properly scaled recipe when you consider losses, efficiency changes, etc between two sets of equipment.

So that's why I recommend using complete equipment profiles when scaling a recipe - it gives you a complete result that matches the new profile.

Brad

Back