• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pressure ferment during secondary and diacetyl rest

R. Gibson

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone know if retaining pressure during secondary fermentation in a conical fermenter would prevent a proper diacetyl rest?

Maybe another way to ask the question is: can the yeast consume aldehydes and diacetyl during bottle conditioning in lieu of a maturation phase in the fermenter? I'm sure lots of brewers have tried that, just out of a lack of patience!

Diacetyl isn't reduced as a gas, so pressure fermentation doesn't have much of an effect. What does matter is whether your yeast can continue to work efficiently under pressure. With saturated CO2, yeast has a harder time getting things through its cell walls. Certain strains do better in pressure fermentation than others.

You can take a sample of your fermenting wort and see if it finishes with a different level than what's under pressure.

Thanks for the great info. Since I'm really not in a hurry, I'll just let it mature normally. Maybe I'll do a small batch experiment later.

Back