Author Topic: Pressure ferment during secondary and diacetyl rest  (Read 503 times)

Offline R. Gibson

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Pressure ferment during secondary and diacetyl rest
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »
Does anyone know if retaining pressure during secondary fermentation in a conical fermenter would prevent a proper diacetyl rest?

Maybe another way to ask the question is: can the yeast consume aldehydes and diacetyl during bottle conditioning in lieu of a maturation phase in the fermenter? I'm sure lots of brewers have tried that, just out of a lack of patience!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:22:14 PM by R. Gibson »

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
Re: Pressure ferment during secondary and diacetyl rest
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:41:30 AM »
Diacetyl isn't reduced as a gas, so pressure fermentation doesn't have much of an effect. What does matter is whether your yeast can continue to work efficiently under pressure. With saturated CO2, yeast has a harder time getting things through its cell walls. Certain strains do better in pressure fermentation than others.

You can take a sample of your fermenting wort and see if it finishes with a different level than what's under pressure.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline R. Gibson

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Pressure ferment during secondary and diacetyl rest
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
Thanks for the great info. Since I'm really not in a hurry, I'll just let it mature normally. Maybe I'll do a small batch experiment later.

modification