• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brix conversion?

E

Enchanted Brew

Is my conversion from brix to FG incorrect?  We just got a brix refractrometer, we calibrated it, then checked our FG.  It reads 6.  I divided 6 by 1.04 as it says in Palmer's book, and I come up with 5.769 or about 1.022 off Palmer's conversion chart.  Did I do this right?

At the same time, we checked the FG using our hydrometer and get a FG of 1.012.

At this point in time, we're one week in the primary then an additional three weeks in a secondary.  I think it's time to bottle.

Check out the refractometer tool in BSmith.  Brix converts to SG differently depending on what you're testing.  Raw wort is roughly 4X the Brix reading, so a 12.0 Brix equals 1.048. 

After fermentation has started and alcohol is present, Brix reads differently, so in BSmith select "Fermenting Wort Gravity" in the drop-down box.  You must enter the Brix reading from the beer/wort AND the original gravity when you pitched.  It calculates the SG given those two numbers.  Whenever I've tested the result against my lab-quality hydro it has been right on. 

Once you get used to the refractometer, you'll be hooked.  It is very useful on brew day to monitor the gravity of the wort.  If you're low, add DME; high, add some water.  You can also measure the gravity of the mash:  when it stops increasing conversion is complete. 

Thanks for the response.  Can you point me in the right direction to find the drop down menu you are talking about?  I am unable to find it on this website.

Back