• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

inventory sync between computers

antisoshal

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Im a pro user and we make recipes on one machine but brew and maintain inventory on a different machine. I've searched and not found a succint answer: Is there a way to sync all ingredients and inventory between multiple computers. If not I may need to migrate to another system as this is sort of a key feature that appears to have been requested for a long time.

Not currently.  I'm working on a web based inventory system which will at least give you a single shared view of your inventory data.

I hope to release the basic web inventory system by the end of the year, and I'm also working on a longer term transaction based inventory system which will be more suited to pro brewers.

Brad

Sharing your Beersmith folder between PC's using a file syncing service actually works quite well as long as you take care not to run the program on both PC's simultaneously.

Keep in mind this is completely unsupported, you may lose all your data (although it never happened to me in the 3-4 years that I've been using this method) and you may have to manually sort out conflicts in case you accidentally do run them at the same time.

I sync my entire .beersmith3 folder with the exception of BeerSmith3.txt between 3 PC's using a tool called Seafile, but it should work with Dropbox or Syncthing as well. I don't remember why I put BeerSmith3.txt on the ignore-list, but I guess there was a reason.

Again, I wouldn't recommend this unless you have good backups and confidence in your ability to sort out problems, but if you like to live on the edge...  8)

Back