• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG appears "off" and not changing when I add malt

rx35285

Apprentice
Reaction score
Returning to BeerSmith after a 2 year layoff.  Can't get my old recipes connected, but that's for another day.  Today I'm trying to modify a helles bock recipe from homebrewing.org.  The BeerSmith estimated OG seems low at 1.046 and it doesn't change when I add malt. I've tried adding a screenshot of the BeerSmith page but can't figure that out.

The BH effy is locked at 72%.  Equipment is 4 gal pot - extract.  What else should I check?

Thanks!
Dave

Hi,
  The problem is that BeerSmith 3 now takes into account the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, a field which did not exist in BeerSmith 2.  For old BeerSmith 2 recipes imported it is using a default of 10% alcohol tolerance for beer yeasts, which is why you are running into this limit.

Most of the BeerSmith 3 yeast records have been updated to include the actual alcohol tolerance where I could find it - at least for the major yeast providers.
So you can try the following:
  - Reselecting (or substituting the yeast) for the BeerSmith 3 yeast record will often update the alcohol tolerance for the yeast strain
  - Choosing another yeast strain may also get you higher alcohol tolerance as the new yeast strains do have the field set where data is available
  - Finally you can edit the yeast strain itself within your recipe and set the alcohol tolerance higher, though I would check the manufacturer's web site to make sure the yeast can handle it

Brad

Thanks for the help.  This software is simply amazing.  It was easy to use when I was using it regularly and is so powerful.

I haven't moved to BeerSmith 3 yet, but I will once I get settled back into BeerSmith 2.  Need to get reconnected to my old recipes, ingredients, equipment profile, etc.

ANYWAY, I noticed that switching the type from extract to partial mash changes the OG so that it matches what homebrewing.org says it should be and the software then responds when I start adding DME.  I'm sure it's operator error on my part, but do you have any suggestions on where I might be goofing up?

Thanks! 

Posting an update in case someone finds this via the search function.  The problem was that I added 2 lbs of DME and categorized it as "grain" instead of "extract".  I'm going to call that a newbie error since life changes have kept me away for 2 1/2 years.  Also contributing to my problems is that I renamed my original BeerSmith directory while creating a hard drive backup process.  Cheers!

rx35285 said:
Posting an update in case someone finds this via the search function.  The problem was that I added 2 lbs of DME and categorized it as "grain" instead of "extract".  I'm going to call that a newbie error since life changes have kept me away for 2 1/2 years.  Also contributing to my problems is that I renamed my original BeerSmith directory while creating a hard drive backup process.  Cheers!

Thanks for the update, I'm still trying to learn this stuff too.  Have you checked out the BeerSmith Youtube channel?  They have a lot of good content I find helpful, here is the channel if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/c/MrBeersmith

Back