• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew Day Timer Whirlpool Steps

msjulian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there any way at all the get the brew day timer to add time for a whirlpool step without added a "fake" hop addition?? I whirlpool for 10 min and rest for 10 min on every batch I make with or without hop additions. Whirlpooling has been a standard brew step way before whirlpool hop additions were ever a "thing". It would really be nice to have the timer count this down and sound the alarm at the end of each step.  I have watched all the videos and searched the forum and can't seem to find a way to make this happen.

I would do it by adding a custom "ingredient" in the miscellaneous category.

I have an item I created in the hop profiles named "Whirlpool Pause."  I add this in and put in the whirlpool time to be the expected time for chilling down to the temperature where the first whirlpool addition will be made PLUS the full whirlpool steep time.  This then starts as soon as the boil is over and the first whirlpool addition alarm goes off at the expected time and usually pretty close to the correct temperature.

Because it is listed in the hops profiles, I can remember to add it in as I am adding my hops to the recipe.

Seems silly that you have to add a "fake" hop addition to get the whirlpool and whirlpool rest to be part of the brewing process.

msjulian said:
Seems silly that you have to add a "fake" hop addition to get the whirlpool and whirlpool rest to be part of the brewing process.

Well, if using something that works and is easy to use is silly, then I am laughing all the way! 

Back