Author Topic: About to BIAB in my HERMS....what should I know....  (Read 213 times)

Offline TwoThings

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Just worry about making beer YOU like...
About to BIAB in my HERMS....what should I know....
« on: November 21, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »
As the topic states....anything I should look to adjust in the Beersmith 3 program?  Grain absorption?  Should I set the mash profile as BIAB or RIMS/HERMS and alter the grain absorption?  Any tips are welcomed!  Thanks!
On Tap as of 1/12/2020

-Oatmeal Stout

Go to commercial beers:
-Stag and the King

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: About to BIAB in my HERMS....what should I know....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 02:31:10 AM »
If you are doing a full volume mash, then you should probably use a BIAB mash profile.  If you are planning on sparging, then use a standard mash profile.   For the program, it does not matter if you are using a propane burner, electric element, or a HERMS/RIMS system to heat the water and maintain the mash temperature.

In terms of grain absorption, if you are planning on squeezing the bag to reclaim more of the wort, then you should target a lower absorption value.  You can start by adopting the standard absorption for BIAB which is in the program and measure your water in vs water out of your mash to determine exactly how much is retained to adjust for the next brew.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline TwoThings

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Just worry about making beer YOU like...
Re: About to BIAB in my HERMS....what should I know....
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  Right now I am thinking of just doing a full volume mash in BIAB in my mash tun. So I set it to BIAB mash profile.  Thank you again.  I am switching to BIAB just to make it easier when cleaning.....Getting all of those grains out and handling that SS keggle is just obnoxious. 
On Tap as of 1/12/2020

-Oatmeal Stout

Go to commercial beers:
-Stag and the King

modification