• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

re install problem

nlane

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have version 1.4 and got a new computer. Using my new computer, I went to the web site and downloaded Beersmith. I ran the install program, no problem. Started it up, entered my old code, everything went fine. I exported my old recipes to an external hard drive, imported to new computer, no problem. But now each time I start BeerSmith on new computer, it starts over wanting the registration code, re configure, etc.
What am I doing wrong?
Norman Lane

Norman,
  Usually this is a permissions problem (likely you are using Vista) where you may have installed it as an administrator but are running as a limited user.  The way to correct this is to go to the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory and modify the permissions on the directories under it so your limited user can actually write to those directories and files.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad:
Thanks for the help. I couldn't see how to set the permissions (XP) but I used "run as" to start the program and entered the code. I haven't had the problem since, even when logged in as std user.
Great program!
Norman

Norman,
  Someone found another solution, which is perhaps a bit more elegant.  Simply install the program to a directory under your "My Documents" directory.  This resolves the permissions problem and makes it easy to back up your files if needed.

Cheers,
Brad

Back