• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding of water agents

DPirkl

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand when to put the water agents in for the Mash and the Sparge? I am using BS 3.2.7 IF I need 8 gallons of water for the mash and 7 gallons for the sparge I start my HLT with 15 gallons of water...  Should I put the recommended amount for the mash in the HLT 15 gallons? If this is the case, should I then add the sparge amounts to the HLT with the remaining 7 gallons or place it physically into the mash?  The brewing day steps seem to indicate this.
thanks for the clarification.

It is a matter of how you want to operate your process.  I do mostly full volume BIAB but when I do use a sparge, I add all the water into my Anvil and treat all the water.  Then I draw off what is needed for the sparge.

If you are using a HLT and fill it with all the water you need, it may be easiest to add all the water agents directly to the HLT as you are filling it to allow the salts to fully dissolve.

Other brewers I know treat the water just before mashing in.  One adds all the salts into the mash and does not treat the sparge water at all.

So the choices are yours and there is no right or wrong way.  Just do it consistently each time and make it part of your brewing routine.

Thanks for the information.  since I have all the water for the entire process in the HLT I will just combine the totals for the Mash and Sparge and put it in the HLT in the beginning... simple!

Back