Author Topic: CLASSIC IRISH STOUT  (Read 1047 times)

Offline BILLY BREW

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
CLASSIC IRISH STOUT
« on: January 16, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
First brew in 3 months...don't ask. Decided to do a classic. Of course being on the wagon for January took a bit of the fun out of the process. But got a 7 gallon batch done and used dry yeast for the first time.  Impressed with the result. Started to go active within the first hour.
Something I do is "sun tea" my black grains for 24 to 48 hours. Takes a lot of the grain bitterness out of the final result. I dump the black wort in at flame out. Anyone else use this process?
Just rambling...Haven't been on in a long time.

Update 2/8/2022; Brew day went better than planned. Bottled last week and flavor looks to be right on target. Should be a great St. Paddy's Day treat!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 05:28:19 AM by BILLY BREW »
Retired Home brewing biker Who wouldn't love me?

Offline Sandyfeet

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3 Rocks!
Re: CLASSIC IRISH STOUT
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 05:19:31 AM »
I haven't tried that, but I am playing around with an oatmeal stout. Hoping to bottle carbonate over the weekend. I am a little disappointed with my OG, but I either should have told the brew store that I am BIIB, or I should have bought a grain mill. My bad, but live and learn. The bright side is with the low gravity, I might actually have an English style beer.
I brewed an American style porter a few months back, and I used about 15% of Munich to remove some of the harshness. It seemed to work.

modification