• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CLASSIC IRISH STOUT

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
First brew in 3 months...don't ask. Decided to do a classic. Of course being on the wagon for January took a bit of the fun out of the process. But got a 7 gallon batch done and used dry yeast for the first time.  Impressed with the result. Started to go active within the first hour.
Something I do is "sun tea" my black grains for 24 to 48 hours. Takes a lot of the grain bitterness out of the final result. I dump the black wort in at flame out. Anyone else use this process?
Just rambling...Haven't been on in a long time.

Update 2/8/2022; Brew day went better than planned. Bottled last week and flavor looks to be right on target. Should be a great St. Paddy's Day treat!

I haven't tried that, but I am playing around with an oatmeal stout. Hoping to bottle carbonate over the weekend. I am a little disappointed with my OG, but I either should have told the brew store that I am BIIB, or I should have bought a grain mill. My bad, but live and learn. The bright side is with the low gravity, I might actually have an English style beer.
I brewed an American style porter a few months back, and I used about 15% of Munich to remove some of the harshness. It seemed to work.

Back