• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU Issue

B

betch

Here is my recipe. I just started using Beersmith and think I have some setting wrong. Anyway Promash shows the IBU above 50 and Beersmith is 14.5? I am mashing now and need to know if I should add some Bravo for bitter?

6.5 2 row
1.0 C40
.5 Wheat
.25 Cara Pils
1 oz Galena & 1 oz Cascade mash hops
1 oz Saaz at 20, 1 oz at 10, and 1 oz dry hop
Batch size 5.1 gal and 75% efficancy

I appreciate your help. If my IBU is really only 14.5 then I am confused?

Too late to help, but my guess would be the "mash hops" setting accounts for little bittering if any.  So, three ounces of Saaz at 20 minutes or less might be only 14 IBUs.

If ProMash has a mash hops setting, did you have it selected there as you did in BSmith?  I did not see any choice other than "boil" in my copy of ProMash.  Beyond that, the default hops model differs b/t the two packages, Rager vs Tinseth, but that usually results in differences of 5-10 IBUs. 

Depending on the style, 14 IBU may be plenty.  For 8.25# of grain, sounds like a low bittering style.

Hi,
  I did not catch this earlier, but I would recommend against mash hopping.  It does not add much bitterness (if any) and really does not do much for your beer except lower the pH of the mash a bit, but there are much better and cheaper ways to do this.

Move your hops to the boil and you should be back in business...

Brad

I would agree with mash-hopping (tried it, got nothing worthwhile).  But I think "betch" had a settings issue.  Using these hop amounts as all bittering would lead to approx. 131 IBUs if paired with the 8.25# of grain.  I edited one of my recipes to mimic his since I do 8# batches.  The AA% could be slightly different; I used the defaults.

---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 8.6 SRM SRM RANGE: 5.0-14.0 SRM
Est IBU: 131.6 IBU IBU RANGE: 30.0-50.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.051 SG OG RANGE: 1.045-1.060 SG
Est FG: 1.012 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.015 SG
Est BU:GU: 2.555 Calories: 229 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.09 %

Total Grain Weight: 7.99 lb Total Hops: 5.00 oz.

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.044 Est OG: 1.051 SG
Boil Ingredients
Boil        Amount      Item                                      Type       
60 min      1.00 oz      Cascade [7.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops       
60 min      1.00 oz      Galena [13.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops       
20 min      1.00 oz      Saaz [2.70 %]  (20 min)                  Hops       
10 min      1.00 oz      Saaz [2.70 %]  (10 min)                  Hops       

Back