Author Topic: Too much sediment  (Read 4086 times)

cruland

Too much sediment
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
I made a rustic porter a few weeks ago.  Never did a secondary fermentation.  After two weeks of fermenting I transferred it to a bucket with the priming solution and then into the bottles.  So far, I've opened three, and two of them have a considerable amount of sediment in them that floats to the top when I open the bottle.  The last one I opened today and ended up throwing it down the drain because I couldn't even drink the beer without a mouthful of nasty sludge.  Any suggestions on getting rid of that nastiness?

Offline SleepySamSlim

• Barley Engineer
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Too much sediment
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »
No ideas other than try racking to a secondary on some brews --- I did my first porter a few weeks ago - as you would guess it had a significant grain bill. After several days in the primary we racked to a secondary. There was a ton of sediment in the primary - I just checked the secondary carboy --- almost an inch of sediment again.

I guess you could try straining your brew into a glass ......
Some people tell you the old walkin' blues ain't bad
Worst old feelin' that I've ever had ...
-Robert Johnson

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »
+1 on the secondary, Or more time in the primary. What to do with the current brew: Cold Storage & Time. Neither of which will remove the debris but both will help things settle out to the bottom of the bottle.
Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

deerelk4x4

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »
Definitely agree with the secondary.  If you still have significant trub, maybe even give a tertiary to try to get as much out of the beer before bottling.  As for the existing bottles, +1 on the cold storage and time.

modification