• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Too much sediment

C

cruland

I made a rustic porter a few weeks ago.  Never did a secondary fermentation.  After two weeks of fermenting I transferred it to a bucket with the priming solution and then into the bottles.  So far, I've opened three, and two of them have a considerable amount of sediment in them that floats to the top when I open the bottle.  The last one I opened today and ended up throwing it down the drain because I couldn't even drink the beer without a mouthful of nasty sludge.  Any suggestions on getting rid of that nastiness?

No ideas other than try racking to a secondary on some brews --- I did my first porter a few weeks ago - as you would guess it had a significant grain bill. After several days in the primary we racked to a secondary. There was a ton of sediment in the primary - I just checked the secondary carboy --- almost an inch of sediment again.

I guess you could try straining your brew into a glass ......

+1 on the secondary, Or more time in the primary. What to do with the current brew: Cold Storage & Time. Neither of which will remove the debris but both will help things settle out to the bottom of the bottle.
Cheers
Preston

Definitely agree with the secondary.  If you still have significant trub, maybe even give a tertiary to try to get as much out of the beer before bottling.  As for the existing bottles, +1 on the cold storage and time.

Back