• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Later addition of fermentables

G

GregKelley

The recipe that I have calls for me to add 1 lbs of sugar a week after fermentation starts.  Any ideas on how to combine the gravity reading of my beer before fermentation and the gravity reading of this 1 lbs of sugar in order to get a more accurate "Actual Gravity" reading?

Hi,
  I would mark the sugar as "Add after boil".  Since the sugar is 100% soluable in the wort, the estimates should be very accurate.  If you want a good pre-sugar estimate, just delete the sugar, note the OG and then add it back in.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks.

If I measure my OG right before pitching yeast and then a week later I measure the gravity of the 1 lbs of sugar in the pint of water, do you know of an equation that would tell me how to combine those numbers for a "total" OG?  That way, when I measure the FG, BeerSmith will calculate the right alcohol percentage.

Back