Author Topic: Pilsner Malt  (Read 1013 times)

Offline lanniel

• All Grain Home Brewer
  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • I don't Brew Lagers
Pilsner Malt
« on: March 28, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
A friend gave me 13 pounds of Rahr Premium Pilsner Malt.  I don't care to brew Lagers.  I have Allgrain equipment and brew mostly IPA's, Pale Ales, Wheat Beers and some Porters and Stouts.
Ihave never made a Pilsner and I assume the process is similar to Lagers.  What can I make with this Pilsner Malt assuming I probably need to add Hops and other grains to it.

Lannie
Improve your home. Brew Beer in it.

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Re: Pilsner Malt
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 03:10:48 PM »
You don't need to make just a pilsner with pilsner malt. You can use it just like any base malt. By itself it will lend and lighter color and give you a crisp, light beer... or add other malts for more color and complexity. Pilsner is often used in German Kolsch recipes. I use it in Cream Ales and have seen several Pale Ale recipes using Pilsner.
If you?re stressing over homebrewing, you?re doing something wrong.
- Denny Conn

Offline Sandyfeet

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 3 Rocks!
Re: Pilsner Malt
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 05:19:09 AM »
You can mix some Pilsner in with 2-Row and make any of the desired styles you mention. I have sipped on some wonderful Pale Ales and IPA from one of our breweries here that do just that.
With straight Pilsner and maybe 1/2 lb of something else, I would make a Belgian. You have options on a Kolsch, and all kinds of other things too. It all depends on what kind of yeast you plan to use.   

modification