• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pilsner Malt

lanniel

New Forum Member
Reaction score
A friend gave me 13 pounds of Rahr Premium Pilsner Malt.  I don't care to brew Lagers.  I have Allgrain equipment and brew mostly IPA's, Pale Ales, Wheat Beers and some Porters and Stouts.
Ihave never made a Pilsner and I assume the process is similar to Lagers.  What can I make with this Pilsner Malt assuming I probably need to add Hops and other grains to it.

Lannie

You don't need to make just a pilsner with pilsner malt. You can use it just like any base malt. By itself it will lend and lighter color and give you a crisp, light beer... or add other malts for more color and complexity. Pilsner is often used in German Kolsch recipes. I use it in Cream Ales and have seen several Pale Ale recipes using Pilsner.

You can mix some Pilsner in with 2-Row and make any of the desired styles you mention. I have sipped on some wonderful Pale Ales and IPA from one of our breweries here that do just that.
With straight Pilsner and maybe 1/2 lb of something else, I would make a Belgian. You have options on a Kolsch, and all kinds of other things too. It all depends on what kind of yeast you plan to use. 

Back