• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New user, recipe vanished

mjeffw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I spent the last hour entering a recipe into BeerSmith 3, closed the program, and on re-opening it, the recipe is gone. What am I not getting about this program?

Did you save the recipe before closing BeerSmith? If so, how did you save it?

And what folder did you have open when you saved it?

I want to answer, "What is this 'save' you speak of?" -- LOL. I'm used to apps that just save stuff as you type it in. Having to hit "save" is so 1990s.

I had BeerSmith open, I can see "My Recipes" and "BeerSmith 3 Samples" in the navigation area on the left. Click "Add Recipe", fill out the recipe, close the program. Any modern application will automatically save at that point OR tell you that you have unsaved changes. Nope.

Open the program, repeat the steps, except this time, click the disk icon button. Works.

There are actually two ways to save... the disc icon which saves without closing the recipe and the OK button which saves and closes the current recipe. I'm pretty sure Beersmith does save as you work but those saves go into the programs archive. It does not assume that what you just typed will be your end product. Sorry that the program does not live up to your expectations.

I can live with it. My go to program isn't being supported any more, so I need to move a couple of decades worth of recipes somewhere.

Really, it's a simple feature request:

If the user has entered information into a recipe and quits the program without saving, popup a dialog to allow them to either save, or confirm that they want to close without saving.

Allowing the user to close and lose all of his work is not a good user experience.

If you go to BeerSmith.com/support, you'll find dozens of articles and videos on almost everything you need to know about how to use the software. It's all broken down into categories and will help you learn to take full advantage of the program. This isn't simply a recipe builder. It's fully customizable, allowing the user to define almost every aspect of brewing to fit their equipment and process.

As for your lost recipe, is should be archived. To open the archives, click on "Archive, located on the second ribbon from the top.

Back