• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Abita Jockamo IPA styled clone

redbone

Brewer
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to try the Abita Jockomo IPA clone this past weekend and would love to target some sort of a clone recipe or something like it.  Can someone help?  Here is a link and exert:

http://www.abita.com/brews/jockamo.php

Jockamo is named for the tribes of dancing, singing, chanting “Mardi Gras Indians” who have marched in New Orleans for over 250 years. When you hear the drums, join in the song...“Iko! Iko! Jockamo fe na ne”.

Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate. The intense hop character adds more spice to the meal and makes it a perfect choice to team up with many spicy dishes. Cheddar and strong farmer cheeses stand up well to Jockamo’s hoppy character. Jockamo goes well with game, grilled meats and Thai, or Mexican cuisine.

They obviously spell out that they use Willamette and Columbus hops.  Columbus definitely for bittering.  I wonder if Willamette would be used any in the boil?  I can definitely see that it should be dry hopped with Willamette.

Here is a quick partial mash recipe that I threw together:

6.00 lb DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.59 %
1.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 14.71 %
1.25 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 14.71 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 44.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops - 
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU

The intention with the grains is to steep them for the normal 20-30 minutes. Then do a 90 minute boil with 1oz Columbus - 15 minutes with 1oz of Williamette.  The final IBU's calculates to be about 52.  The estimated color is 9.5, but I've discovered that using DME... you get darker colors than expected.

My goal is to have a very good "regular" pale ale/IPA to keep on tap without overdoing it on hops.  I want it to be very drinkable like Jockamo IPA is.

Can someone please comment and make suggestions?

Thanks!
-Ryan

Munich malt requires mashing to convert its starches to fermentable sugars.  Try to "steep" at least 30 minutes at 152 to 155F and you will have "mashed."  That would be less than a gallon of water at a 1.25 ratio, so a small pot in a warm oven should maintain temp well.  Or, with only 3# of grains to steep/partial mash, this would be a good test case for the countertop partial mash method outlined here at BYO:  http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/511-countertop-partial-mashing

This is the Brew In A Bag (BIAG) method asked about in another thread.  The cooler is $9 at Walmart and your LHBS should have the large nylon grain bag.  I just saw this done at a session and it worked great.  The brewer mashed the mash grains in the cooler and steeped the steeping grains in the pot like usual. 

Usually when I steep... I start heating the water (full boil), while heating, I bag my grains, I then drop them in while heating and bring it to a temperature of 150F-170F.  When it hits 150, I start a 20-25 minute timer depending how the initial heat to 150F went.   Time in contact with water could be as much as 35 minutes.  I find that doing it this way I don't have to cut my heat off very long to maintain < 170F (which you don't want to go over when steeping).  I could also be experiencing a small protein rest by doing this?  Right or wrong... I've had good results with this method and I'm not wasting much time or energy.

Without going too deeply into and beyond methodologies of steeping the specialty grains,  does anyone have a comment or suggestion to the recipe I posted vs the description of Jockamo IPA?  What about a suggestion for yeast?  Typically I've used California Ale V for my IPA's but am willing to try something else.

Thanks,
Ryan

The recipe itself sounds like a great start.  Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or some similar clean American style yeast should do fine.  It doesn't mention any specific yeast character in the description.

I mentioned the munich b/c the enzymes that convert the starch to sugars are denatured at about 160 to 165F, so depending on timing you may not get what you expect from it with your usual method.  Gravity could be low, beer could be starch-cloudy, etc. 

MaltLicker said:
... It doesn't mention any specific yeast character in the description.

I mentioned the munich b/c the enzymes that convert the starch to sugars are denatured at about 160 to 165F... Gravity could be low, beer could be starch-cloudy, etc. 

Yea, I wish someone could try one and place a good guess on the yeast.  All my IPA's thus far pretty much have those same grains and either DME or 2-Row when I do an all grain.  So, I really wouldn't know what else to do or if that grain selection is good.

I sure hope someone that has had a Jockamo can chime in on the specialty grain choice as well as the yeast.  I think the hops and hop time are dead on.

Again, I'm just wanting to brew something more "regular" that can appease a broader audience instead of appealing to only hop-heads.  This summer I intend on keeping something like this, my fool proof hefeweizen that everyone loves, and some kind of fruit beer like strawberry or watermelon on tap.  I guess I'll start a separate thread for those.

Thanks,
Ryan

Bump  ???

I'm getting ready to do something like this up.  All my IPA recipes always have the same dme and/or grain profiles.  Can anyone suggest something a little different so I can branch out?  I just don't know any better than what I've been doing with all my IPA or pale variations.

Please and thanks again for anyone's comment.

-Ryan

Couple things to try: Use LME (Liquid Male Extract) instead of DME (Dry Malt Extract). Up the OG to get more in line with the ABV. With the Jockamo in mind here is what I put together:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 17.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.5 IBU
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
5 lbs        Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM)          Extract      47.62 %     
3 lbs        Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM)            Extract      28.57 %     
1 lbs 4.0 oz  Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM)  Grain        11.90 %     
1 lbs 4.0 oz  Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM)              Grain        11.90 %     
1.00 oz      Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]  (90 min)  Hops        49.2 IBU     
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.10 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)    Hops          -           
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.10 %]  (15 min)            Hops        8.3 IBU     
FYI: Beersmith does not like the Munich addition for PM, so you may need to mash it separately for an hour like ML stated earlier.

Cheers
Preston

Back