• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith3 on Ubuntu 22.04 (error and fix)

andyfarke

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Ubuntu distro from 20.04 to 22.04. This new version of Ubuntu uses OpenSSL 3.0 (versus the old OpenSSL 1.1), which creates the following error when attempting to run BeerSmith3:

beersmith3: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm assuming this will be fixed in a future build of BeerSmith, but for now I was able to resolve things by following the directions here: https://linuxpip.org/install-openssl-linux/

I suspect this is not an ideal solution, but it got things working for me. Posting here in case anyone else gets similar errors.

That should be a good work around. 

I usually create a new symbolic link for older libs to the new lib after upgrading linux and breaking applications.

I've been using BeerSmith 3 in Ubuntu 22.04.1 for a long time, but recent upgrade to 22.04.4 broke BeerSmith good.  I don't even get an error message, it just spins the ball for a few seconds and quits.  Does this on two computers.

Installed Linux mint cinnamon on my old laptop and BeerSmith runs fine on it. Mint is based on ubuntu and there is an update coming in a few weeks, so I'll hold off proclaiming success.  I'll mess around with mint and if all goes well I'll say goodbye to ubuntu.  Any OS that won't run Beersmith is trash!

Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 LTS does not work with BS3.  All BS3 does when clicked on is spin a ball for a second and not open.  This is the same behavior in Ubuntu 22.04.04 LTS.

There should not be a version of Beersmith 3 for 22.04 LTS cause it won't work with the Ubuntu you can download now.

I hope Brad can fix this.

I'm running Pop! OS (basically Ubuntu) v.22.04 and was having the same issue with BS3 clicking the icon, I had the 'I'm thinking about it' mouse pointer, then *nothing*.

Trying to open BS3 in the terminal, I got:

"beersmith3: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

so following some guidance i found here (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72133316/ubuntu-22-04-libssl-so-1-1-cannot-open-shared-object-file-no-such-file-or-di), I DLed the file "libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.16_amd64.deb" from here: http://nz2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/?C=M;O=D

and installed it.

Now BS3 opens fine for me

HTH

libssl.so.1 and libcrypto.so.1 are both now obsoleted in Ubuntu 22.04 and Mint 21. Brad should think about building snap (or flatpack) versions. It would definitely lessen the ongoing support requirements as Linux updates its libraries.

I'm running Pop! OS (basically Ubuntu) v.22.04 and was having the same issue with BS3 clicking the icon, I had the 'I'm thinking about it' mouse pointer, then *nothing*.

Trying to open BS3 in the terminal, I got:

"beersmith3: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

so following some guidance i found here (https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ot-open-shared-object-file-no-such-file-or-di), I DLed the file "libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.16_amd64.deb" from here: http://nz2.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/?C=M;O=D

and installed it.

Now BS3 opens fine for me

HTH
I did this and it worked perfect also.
I am running the latest Mint

Thank You lads ! Beersmith 3 doesn't work for me, after system update to Mint 21, but now works !

I am working on a Ubuntu 22 build - hope to have it done in a few weeks for beta.

I have a slightly different issue on Ubuntu 22.04, a recent upgrade. WhenI try to show the brew steps it is blank. It always worked fine before. I have a Win 11 computer and it will display them just fine. Anyone have any insight into the Ubuntu brew steps issue?

Try going to Options->Report and set the Print to Browser checkbox there. That will send printouts to the browser which might help.

I'm having a similar problem (Ubuntu 18.04); Oddly, it opens brew steps for all beer recipes up through present day, and for cider recipes dated 2016 and earlier, but no cider recipes later than that. I tried the solution stated above and there is no change. Can you help?

I'm sorry - are you having a reports problem where the new recipe report previews or printouts don't show up?

Neither does it preview, nor print to anywhere that is made known to me. When I "Add Recipe" (specifically a cider recipe - this does, in fact, work for beer recipes: I tested this hypothesis just now) and complete it, and hit the "Brew Steps" button next to the "Set As Default" button, I get the following message:

Can't open report template to preview this item​

With every other recipe I mentioned, I get a Brew Steps sheet, which I can then print off and use when I brew.

The same message shows up when I close the recipe and, from within the "My Recipes" page (the one with the preview pane below), and with the target recipe highlighted, I select from the drop-down menu that allows me to preview, in the listed order: "Recipe", "Brew Steps", "Plain Text", "Brew Process TXT", "Competition", "Classic Recipe" and "Classic Brewsheet". If I select "Brew Steps", the same message (above) appears in the preview pane.

It seems that selecting the "Classic Brewsheet" option does allow a preview of something like "Brew Steps" (it's even titled "brewing steps"), so that is sort of a workaround; its just that "Brew Steps" is formatted differently, and the "brewing steps" preview is even more beer-centric (the format seems to be set up with only brewed [i.e., boiled], malt-based recipes in mind)

Just for my edification: when I go to Options->Reports, and activate "Send printouts to default browser/text viewer" as was mentioned above, and that works as it should, what, exactly, should I see? Will a new window pop up?

Thank you for responding on this matter: I know I'm not the most engaged or vocal subscriber, so I appreciate that you've taken time to look into this.

Back