• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kveik Yeast

I'm using two different Kveik strains at the moment. Mangrove Jacks M12 VOss and Escarpment Labs Krusher. What a game changer! My beers are better than they have ever been. Pseudo Pilsners are amazing.

Kveik is pronounced "kvike" with one syllable. No one knows the history of kveik, because there's no history documenting it specifically. It just seemed to appear several years ago in Norway. Practically no one in Norway knew about kveik before then, apart from a minority of rural home brewers. But, to be fair, Norway wasn't ever recognised for its brewing history. Not in the sense like other European brewing nations, e.g., Belgium, England, Germany, etc.

What's been proposed to date is merely speculation. The idea kveik has been passed down generations unchanged, perhaps, as some would have us believe, as far back as the Viking era, is great marketing, but it ignores the inevitable process of mutation and its consequences for genetic structure, especially in microbial populations, which have high rates of mutation. The probability of mixed microbial cultures remaining genetically stable over time is practically zero. The only way to stabilise the genetic integrity of yeast strains is to isolate pure cultures (as Emil Hansen did) then preserve them in stasis, e.g., by freezing.

In terms of performance, there are numerous yeast strains that get beer from FV to glass sooner than kveik does and with better, more refined, yeast profiles. At least according to my taste buds. It seems the only benefit of using kveik really is when fermenting in warm conditions without temperature control and that assumes one likes the kveik profile or gets to hide it behind a shed load of hops. I'm not convinced it warrants all the apparent hype, to be fair, but they say anything can be sold with the right marketing strategy.

Kveik is pronounced "kvike" with one syllable. No one knows the history of kveik, because there's no history documenting it specifically. It just seemed to appear several years ago in Norway. Practically no one in Norway knew about kveik before then, apart from a minority of rural home brewers. But, to be fair, Norway wasn't ever recognised for its brewing history. Not in the sense like other European brewing nations, e.g., Belgium, England, Germany, etc.

What's been proposed to date is merely speculation. The idea kveik has been passed down generations unchanged, perhaps, as some would have us believe, as far back as the Viking era, is great marketing, but it ignores the inevitable process of mutation and its consequences for genetic structure, especially in microbial populations, which have high rates of mutation. The probability of mixed microbial cultures remaining genetically stable over time is practically zero. The only way to stabilise the genetic integrity of yeast strains is to isolate pure cultures (as Emil Hansen did) then preserve them in stasis, e.g., by freezing.

In terms of performance, there are numerous yeast strains that get beer from FV to glass sooner than kveik does and with better, more refined, yeast profiles. At least according to my taste buds. It seems the only benefit of using kveik really is when fermenting in warm conditions without temperature control and that assumes one likes the kveik profile or gets to hide it behind a shed load of hops. I'm not convinced it warrants all the apparent hype, to be fair, but they say anything can be sold with the right marketing strategy.

I would suggest giving this a watch: Brew Talk Lars on Kveik
There has been a lot of research done and more labs get some and do more work. It is told that the Vikings brought beer yeast back from pillages to Britain and they just started using it and it mutated to withstand how they treated it. The version I use for pseudo lagers in called Krusher. Its a single isolate from one of the big farmhouse yeasts out of Norway. Many others exist as well. Most notably Lutra also available in dry form.

I used Bry-97 and US-04 US-05 mainly when making beer when I started. I found that even after letting them age out for weeks, they still didn't make beer I was super proud to share. The last few brews I have done with Voss and Krusher though put smiles on my guests faces when they try the pseudo pilsner or Blonde and NEIPA's I have recently made.

With the Voss I run it in a heated tent over 90F. For Krusher I do it at ambient temp usually 68F under pressure with a spunding valve.

I'm not saying that the yeast is the only thing that has improved my beer. I have gotten better and refined my processes, added changes here and there. The yeast just gave me a big leap in time savings and overall ease of fermentation. Fermentation is the most important aspect of all beer or so the norse brewers will tell you.

It is told that the Vikings brought beer yeast back from pillages to Britain and they just started using it and it mutated to withstand how they treated it.
I see. Based on what, in terms of evidence?

if you watch the video...its entertaining. He gives a lot of history and info and the research that was done. Not a bad story teller for an IT guy turned Norse Beer Historian

Mostly due to the yeast being in the same domesticated samples as british ale yeast

But, according to the data set and analysis, presented in that publication, kveik are a distinct group of yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), separate from British brewing strains. So how did you arrive at the idea, "Vikings brought beer yeast back from pillaging Britain"? Statements like that need to be supported with some pretty convincing data. All we have at the moment are a collection of untested hypotheses. That includes the "domesticated" yeast phylogeny generally. It's just a very loose, untested hypothesis based on very limited data, which is exactly why it's all such a mystery so far. Yet some people claim to know so much about the history of kveik? That kind of thing is based squarely on marketing, not scientific data. Make believe mainly. I don't buy it, personally.

I suppose you are right. It’s a romantic idea that the Vikings brought it back.

I started using from watching David heath’s YouTube channel.

I love how quickly and cleanly it’s ferments and the various commercial strains give various beer style options.

What’s you preferred quick turn around time yeast?

For a quick turnaround it's more about procedure than yeast strain. Any yeast pitched according to good practice (enough viable cells in good condition) complete fermentation within a few days. Flocculant strains, with natural carbonation in the FV towards the end of fermentation, are ready in 7-10 days. "Ready" being bright carbonated beer fit for packaging/consumption. Not flat funky 'dirty dishwater". "It's ready" seems to be a very subjective topic with some home brewers these days. I'm quite fussy. It's got to be bright and stable/free of suspended yeast. Kveik take longer to reach this stage.

Which Kveik yeasts have you tried? The one I obtained from escarpment lab called Krusher I did under pressure at 68f.

I have never tasted a cleaner beer at this temp.

I guess fermenting u set pressure is good with say S05 if you don’t want the esters. Curious to know what yeasts you use for the styles you brew.

Alsways looking to get better.

Which Kveik yeasts have you tried? The one I obtained from escarpment lab called Krusher I did under pressure at 68f.

I have never tasted a cleaner beer at this temp.

I guess fermenting u set pressure is good with say S05 if you don’t want the esters. Curious to know what yeasts you use for the styles you brew.

Alsways looking to get better.
I have never used Kveik

I have used Fermentis yeast as follows for styles.

SafAle S-04
-------------
Bitters
Irish Red Ale
English IPA
English Pa;e Ale
Brown Ale

SafAle US-05
---------------
American IPA / Pale Ale / Amber Ale
Cream Ale
Blonde Ale
British Golden Ale
Rauchbier

SafAle BE-134
----------------
Saison
Belgian IPA

SafAle BE-265
---------------
Saison
Belgian Dubbel

SalAle WB-06
---------------
Wiessbier
White IPA
Cream Ale

SafBrew S33
-------------
Roggenbier
NEIPA
Belgian Pale Ale

I also use Mangrove Jacks yeast extensively.
Long list, not posting, unless required.

Back