• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water/Grain ratio & recovarable mash deadspace

Kwyjibo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a problem regarding the mash and lautering adjustments in the equipment profile in Beersmith version 3.2.7.

I have an equipment similar to the Robobrew/Brew Monk/etc. (30 liter) with deadspace below the false bottom/grain bucket. This volume is 6 liter in total, 4 liter as recoverable liquid and 2 liter below the level of the tap unrecoverable.

So I have to set the recoverable mash deadspace to 4 liter and the mash deadspace losses to 2 liter and tick the box "adjust mash vol for losses"? This sounds at least logic to me.

The biggest problem I have is with the water/grain ratio. Let?s assume I want to aim for a water/grain ratio of 2.8 l/kg, is there any effect of the mash tun deadspace addition? In the Mash Step tap it?s showing me the mash tun deadspace addition of 6 liter. My doubt is that in this case the mash is much more thinner than I wanted, or do I have a misconception here?

In addition I have to mention that I am recirculating the wort with a pump.

Thank you in advance and kind regards (and sorry for using the metric system, but the values are just exempary for the problem).

Marco

Enter the entire amount as recoverable dead space. Unrecoverable dead space refers to the amount that doesn't get transferred into a boil kettle and is counted as a volume loss. The 2 liters of actual dead space should be entered as (Loss to trub and chiller) under (Post boil losses and top up) in your equipment profile.

Because the water under the malt pipe is taking up space that is void of grains, it isn't considered when calculating mash thickness but is instead added to the calculated strike volume. The biggest negative to this large amount of dead space is that it reduces the amount of liquid remaining for the sparge which will cause a significant loss of efficiency after the grain bill exceeds a certain point. The good news: If you recirculate during the mash, you can get away with calculating a thicker mash.

I'd be more specific but the all-in-one system that I use had 2 gallons of recoverable dead space before modification, and I don't have time to do the calculations.

Try this when setting up your equipment profile. The title says Beersmith 2 but it all applies to 3 as well.

https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

Great, thank you very much!

I finally set up the equipment profile and I am ready to brew next Saturday. I hope I did everything correct now!

Back