• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you store your grain.

sickbrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a Barley Crusher and will be finally purchasing bulk grains. ;D

How do you all store your grains?  I'm guessing that most use some sort of plastic containers or sacks.  If any brands are better suited than others that would be the kind of info I'm looking for.  Also what about location?  I would think cool and dry conditions would be optimal, but for me, it's either in the garage or in the house or perhaps frozen in the chest freezer.  I could also vacuum pack smaller portions (adjuncts) if it's worth it.

Some feedback on shelf-life would also be useful.  Obviously shorter is better, but what's a realistic average shelf life under "standard" storage conditions?

Cheers

I put mine in 5 gallon home depot buckets and generally keep them at room temperature in the garage except for the hot months - my garage is detached and has no air conditioning. If you have the capability to keep it refrigerated that is great.

I don't buy specialty grains in bulk because of the variations in recipes; I would rather just order them fresh.

The only "bulk" grain I buy is 2-row.  I'll split a 55 pound bag with a friend, and store it in a quality plastic container, at room temp.  Specialty grain I buy fresh.

As a self-confessed "kitchen sink" brewer, I have a pound of almost everything, kept in their original bags with rubber bands, inside small Rubbermaid type boxes, on a baker's rack, in the dining room.  Not real popular with wifey, but my baker's rack has more ribbons on it than hers, so I get by with it.

ML that is funny-more awards!  I am in your boat. I have bulk and specailty closed with binder clips-i used to work for dunder miflin-I mean boise cascade. So binder clipers are everywhere keepin stuff fresh.

I buy sacks of Marris Otter and store grain in trash bag lined 5 gallon HDPE buckets from Lowe's.  I can fit 20lbs in each bucket.  Its worked out well for me so far.  My washing machine exploded and ended up flooding the downstairs and my grain stayed nice and dry.  I buy specialty grains on an as-needed basis and store them in ziploc bags until brew day - usually only a week or two. 

atarlecky said:
I put mine in 5 gallon home depot buckets and generally keep them at room temperature in the garage except for the hot months - my garage is detached and has no air conditioning. If you have the capability to keep it refrigerated that is great.

I don't buy specialty grains in bulk because of the variations in recipes; I would rather just order them fresh.

+1 for Home Depot buckets

The lids have rubber o-rings in them and 2 buckets holds 50 lbs of grain.  Note - if you're picking up Weyermann or other European malts - they are 25kg or 55lbs and won't fit into 2 buckets :)  However, if you leave the sack closed until brew day; use the lbs/kg or malt you need, you ought to be able to use 2 buckets.

I leave them in the garage - no temp control.  My biggest concern is keeping the lids sealed/closed.  I can't do much about cold/heat - but I can keep moisture out ;)

Jim

I went to PetCo and bought a large pet food plastic storage bin.  I has a rubber-sealed lip on the opening and it is airtight.  Holds a 50# bag of 2-row...or whatever I put in it. 

Our dogs?  Their food gets put in a plastic trash can....they eat it faster than it can go bad!!

Marc

I also use the HD buckets. One thing I will mention, when they are new they have a smell to them. It seems to go away fairly soon. I try to buy them in advance and give them a good soap and water wash and plenty of time to dry and loose the smell.

Does anybody know if the smell will get into the grains? So far I haven't noticed any problem just wondering.

Back