• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pre-Boil Gravity with late extract addition

bdjwayne

Apprentice
Reaction score
I made a barleywine which included an extract addition in the last 15 minutes of the boil.  I checked that box then went back to check the estimated pre-boil gravity (which should have been 75 minutes prior to the extract addition), and it gave something like 1.094.  By deleting the extract addition or checking the box for extract addition after the boil, the estimated pre-boil gravity changed to 1.062 (which is what I hit).  We ought to be able to get a pre-boil gravity out of the mash tun so we can adjust the wort accordingly (up with extract or down with water) so the hop utilization will be correct for the majority of the boil (90 minute boil with extract at 75 minutes).  Any ideas what is going on?

bdjwayne said:
... We ought to be able to get a pre-boil gravity out of the mash tun so we can adjust the wort accordingly (up with extract or down with water) ...

I would like to see this feature added as well, and for the same reasons. thanks for considering this request!

On a plane ride when I should have been working  ;) I started fiddling around with BeerSmith.

Is it safe to say that if I make a copy of the recipe I'm planning to use and delete the late additions from it, I should have the correct pre-boil gravity? I copied in a Raison D'etre clone, converted it to partial-mash from all-grain (actually did this by hand. since I am adjusting for my own mini-mash-tun), then when I liked the recipe I duplicated it and deleted everything except wort and hops.

So the pre-boil gravity *with* LME, candi sugar, and raisin puree is 1.065, and the pre-boil gravity *without* those ingredients is 1.033. (Both at a 2.75 gallon boil for a 2.5 gallon half-batch.)

Does this seem like a good workaround?

kgs I do that all the time to determine my pre boil gravity.

I'll take out the late LME addition and reduce my batch size to 3.5 gal (my wort collection) for my partial mash recipes.  This way i can determine my efficiency and if i need to increase or reduce my LME addition.

That being said it would be nice to have this feature added in.  On my brewsheet the preboil gravity always includes the late LME or DME additions even if you click the check box for 'late addition'.

Back