• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Frozen Smack Pack

HoosierDanny

Apprentice
Reaction score
While storing my ingredients in the freezer portion of my fridge, which is regulated by a Johnson Controls regulator and set at 40, my smack pack of Irish Ale yeast froze.  Did I kill the whole pack here?  Any suggestions?  I thought that the entire refrigerator was supposed to stay at 40.

Thanks for the help
Danny

There may be some damaged cells in there. When the crystals form during the freezing process they damage the cell walls. That does not mean that it wont work. It does however mean that you will need to make a starter in order to get enough viable yeast cells to finish your beer.

I would make the starter at least a week before you are going to brew the beer. It may take a while for the yeast to get going so be patient.

Cheers
Preston

Well I guess that is not so bad but not so good news.  I was hoping to brew this weekend.
Thanks Preston

Back