• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer/Cider hybrid?

tommiwommi

Master Brewer
Reaction score
This may sound dumb, I don't even know it this possible or not, I'm just curious.

Can the process of brewing beer be crossed over with cider? Like a hybrid of sorts?

I just ask because I've brewed lots of beer and have just recently been playing with hard cider.

I can't seem to find any liturature on the idea,

Any knowledge would be great

I once made a cider where I beefed up the gravity with boiled malt extract.  Didn't try adding any hops or anything.  Came out OK, but not spectacular enough to do it again.

The problem I have with hard cider is that without residual sugar the dryness can be overpowering.  I like cider to not be sweet, but not so devoid of sugar that there's no flavor.  The stuff I've got on tap will turn your mouth inside out if you don't add a tablespoon or two of simple syrup to the glass.
The next time I make it I want to find a yeast with poor attenuation that will leave enough sugar behind to bring out the flavor.

Hope that helps.
-John

Thanks John, That helped alot.  Now I almost certainly want to experiment with a small batch or two. 

tommiwommi,
I've made four batches of cider and never been totally happy with the results. 
Please do experiment and let me know how it goes. 

I did buy a copy of "Cider-making, using & enjoying sweet and hard cider" By Annie Proulx & Lew Nichols, I pick it up every other night or so. It gets in-depth and a good read.
It doesn't have any information about mixing malted barley with cider, but I have learned alot about the cider process (alot more than I'll ever get to in my lifetime!)
The next time I go down to the brew shop, I'm going to ask my guy what he thinks about the whole idea of crossing things together and what the best approach would be. He's been brewing longer than I've been alive, I'm sure he would have some kind of input.

I got to thinkin', If you mixed in a malt with a cider, you could include "lactose"  I haven't thought of the Amount yet, but with stouts it works well as a sweetener, because it only burns off so much sugar and leaves a sweetness,  I'm going to the brewshop on friday and I'm going to ask questions :D

Being lactose intolerant I wouldn't be happy if someone slipped me a lactose sweetened cider.
The side effects are, well, unpleasant.

Back