• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew House Efficency

G

Garrete

My last batch was a little low on efficiency. BeerSmith lets me adjust it. However, I was under the impression when you need to raise your brewhouse efficiency, you only need to add a couple of extra pounds of the base malt. Did I misunderstand? When BeerSmith changes the efficiency, it adds not only to the base malt, but my specialty malts as well. Is that right?

Thank you in advance.

If your efficiency falls short for any reason, you lose sugars and flavors not only from the base malts but also from the specialty grains, so each grain must be increased in proportion across the entire grist bill in order to keep the original recipe in tact.  Or, if your EE% is 80% and mine is 70% (consistently) then I would always have to boost each ingredient by 10% to keep the flavor the same.  If I increased only the base grain, then my batch would be lacking the same specialty grain character. 

Garrete said:
However, I was under the impression when you need to raise your brewhouse efficiency, you only need to add a couple of extra pounds of the base malt. Did I misunderstand?
+1 MaltLicker
Adjust all the grains accordingly
When BeerSmith changes the efficiency, it adds not only to the base malt, but my specialty malts as well. Is that right?
No, Beersmith does not change the quantities of malt.
When you change the The Brewhouse Efficiency Beersmith adjusts the OG Estimate. This in turn also adjusts the IBU because of the amount of malts in the wort changes.

Cheers
Preston

Back