• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial Mash OG higher than predicted

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So as one of my other threads indicates --- I'm using Jamil's Stove Top Partial Mash method and of course using BeerSmith to model the recipe. So I entered the original extract recipe - then ran the BeerSmith converter to partial mash.

I then tweaked the specialty grains a bit to boost the toffee/carmel flavor and to bring up the predicted OG to 1.051. We brewed today (the kitchen is still a mess - argh) and the measured OG is 1.061 (temperature corrected). Thats a fair bit off the mark - any ideas on this ? I've attached the recipe and you can find a description of Jamils method in my other thread.

Thanks for any insight

Attachments

• Red Ale.bsm
    15 KB · Views: 2
With the mini-mash at only 2# of the fermentables, no realistic EE% would achieve 1.061, so I'd guess the amount of water used was lower than calculated.  Or you boiled off more water than expected.

Any chance you had 6# of LME and not 5#? 

Less likely, in looking at the primary fermentables (LME and grains) in the inventory lists, I see variance in their PPG from 1.035 to 1.038.  Is it possible your pale malt, LME, etc., were each slightly higher than what his recipe used?  That could be a few points worth, but the water is most likely the issue. 

Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.073 Est OG: 1.052 SG

The estimated pre-boil gravity was 1.073, and a 60-minute boil would concentrate it to approx. 1.081, so it was expecting 31 points of dilution IOT hit 1.052. 

Refractometers really help with this problem.  A refract makes it easy to check the pre-boil gravity and again at 15 minutes remaining to ensure you're close to your targets.  If SG is high, add water.  SG low, add some DME. 

Back