Author Topic: 5 to 10  (Read 3365 times)

Offline SOGOAK

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
5 to 10
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »
I'm excited. I have (2) sankes in my garage.  I ordered the valves and will get the cutting wheel, step drill, and pickups.  I have Beer Smith so I figure moving to 10 gallons should be doable.  I'll plan to split ferment so those are covered as are starters.

Other than taking a little longer to run off more wort, any other worries?
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: 5 to 10
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
Takes longer to get ten gallons up to a boil. 
Total water requirements are increased. 
Batch expenses increase proportionally.

But you make more beer.   :)

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: 5 to 10
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:33 AM »
Congrats on the new sankes! I was excited to get mine also... I needed a Larger MT, more BTU, and more Propane in order to step up to 11G(5.5Gx2 fermenters) batches.

I think the biggest grain bill I've done was 39#'s of grain, Imagine trying to fit that in your current MT (I now have 2 MT's).
Bringing larger amounts of water up to boil uses more propane and if you use a higher BTU rated burner you also use more. I now have 2 propane tanks for beer making. I usually only go through about 1/2 but Just in case one goes empty before the boil is done, I can switch it out. In the new brewery I will be going off of Natural gas, which should bring the costs down.

I find that I switch. Sometimes I make 11G and sometimes I make 5.5.  It all depends on the beer, allotted brew time, and the demand. It's your hobby, do what you want to.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!