Author Topic: stout weirdness  (Read 3960 times)

Offline tommiwommi

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
stout weirdness
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:53:17 AM »
I brewed a batch of stout tonight, but here is my delema,  I usually put in my cooling water into my carboy and add my wort then top off. Well...I put a bit much water in before my wort. So I had a bit extra left over from my pot.
  I took the extra, sanitized a gallon carboy and poured the rest with the extra water. I used extra leftover from my yeast starter to get it going, From my 5 gal. carboy, I took a 1.046 reading, (exspecting 1.17 reading)

From my gallon jug I recieved a 1.0061 reading.
 I had a feeling about messing with cherries (sweet moo moo milk cow stout (Lactose) even a sweeter (and hoppy taste, around 100 ibu's ), but should I just wait it off and keg this stuff together and get what I get? or... Should I expiriment more, since I have an extra gallon laying around?
 I think I'm going to re-brew the same batch and get what I wanted. (Which I will)

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: stout weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:28:44 AM »
This is really your call but if you already have plans to try it again you might as well experiment a little.  That is how new stuff is discovered (or ruled out) so why not?

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:56:19 PM »
Its your hobby! Do as you wish and let us know how it turns out. I added 6# of cherries to a milk stout secondary. I took it to a beer judge friend, and he said it fit the Baltic Porter style better than the stout. I was quite Surprised as you might guess. By the way I like the name "Stout Weirdness", I may use that name!

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline tommiwommi

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm definately going to mess with that extra gallon and add some cherries or something else,
 I was supposed to get a 1.071 reading not a 1.17, I was having them homebrews and typing, so that came out wierd, lol. (Which is also why I ended up kinda messing this batch and trying again. ::)
 But definately, I'm going to try this one out again this weekend. I'll have a stout stock pile in my spare bathroom this month or two I guess.
 Man, That spare bathroom is wonderful for homebrewing, When the batches get pulled, I can run the shower and easily clean and move on.

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:44:51 AM »
+1 for the spare bathroom! Mine is in the middle of the house and keeps a constant 65F. I just fill the tub with water and the house does the work for me... I'm a big fan of stouts and I'm behind the curve making them. Only problem, No empty carboys right now.  :(

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

modification