• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stout weirdness

tommiwommi

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of stout tonight, but here is my delema,  I usually put in my cooling water into my carboy and add my wort then top off. Well...I put a bit much water in before my wort. So I had a bit extra left over from my pot.
 I took the extra, sanitized a gallon carboy and poured the rest with the extra water. I used extra leftover from my yeast starter to get it going, From my 5 gal. carboy, I took a 1.046 reading, (exspecting 1.17 reading)

From my gallon jug I recieved a 1.0061 reading.
I had a feeling about messing with cherries (sweet moo moo milk cow stout (Lactose) even a sweeter (and hoppy taste, around 100 ibu's ), but should I just wait it off and keg this stuff together and get what I get? or... Should I expiriment more, since I have an extra gallon laying around?
I think I'm going to re-brew the same batch and get what I wanted. (Which I will)

This is really your call but if you already have plans to try it again you might as well experiment a little.  That is how new stuff is discovered (or ruled out) so why not?

Its your hobby! Do as you wish and let us know how it turns out. I added 6# of cherries to a milk stout secondary. I took it to a beer judge friend, and he said it fit the Baltic Porter style better than the stout. I was quite Surprised as you might guess. By the way I like the name "Stout Weirdness", I may use that name!

Cheers
Preston

Yeah, I'm definately going to mess with that extra gallon and add some cherries or something else,
I was supposed to get a 1.071 reading not a 1.17, I was having them homebrews and typing, so that came out wierd, lol. (Which is also why I ended up kinda messing this batch and trying again. ::)
But definately, I'm going to try this one out again this weekend. I'll have a stout stock pile in my spare bathroom this month or two I guess.
Man, That spare bathroom is wonderful for homebrewing, When the batches get pulled, I can run the shower and easily clean and move on.

+1 for the spare bathroom! Mine is in the middle of the house and keeps a constant 65F. I just fill the tub with water and the house does the work for me... I'm a big fan of stouts and I'm behind the curve making them. Only problem, No empty carboys right now.  :(

Cheers
Preston

Back