• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A little bummed

M

morrissey1977

I had just made a 5 gal batch on Thursday and everything was going great...however...this last weekend saw a increase in temperature to the high eighties. While that sounds F-ing fantastic it became a problem because our appartments AC did not kick on at all and the room temp shot up to the mid to high 80's all weekend.

I am assuming this is not a good thing for my batch...let me know your thoughts. I pitched 1 packet of Wyeast American Ale.

BOO

I would say that most likely your beer will be fine. You used a yeast strain that, even under high fermentation temperatures creates low esters. Even if you have elevated levels of esters, that's not always a bad thing. My only concern would be that your fermentation attenuated too quickly, which will lead to excessive formation of fusel alcohols (those nasty alcohols present in large amounts in red wine that give you a harsh buzz and even harsher hang over with a headache). Overall though, I think you are fine. Many Belgian brewers start their fermentations at 65F and just let it go. Duvel reports having fermentations as high as 93F, and they still make very good beer. You should be just fine. Enjoy your beer!

+1 Dhaenerbrewer
You should be fine. Most brewers would agree that the first few days of fermentation are the most important. This is the time that most of the multiplication and the oxygen is consumed. As dhaener stated you may have some fusel's going on but that is not entirely bad. What was the OG and expected FG? Depending on the activity of the yeast you beer will most likely finish fermentation fairly quickly.

Cheers
Preston

OG - 1.044 and est. FG of 1.011

Thanks forall the killer advice...I feel much better now.

morrissey1977 said:
OG - 1.044 and est. FG of 1.011
Thanks forall the killer advice...I feel much better now.
I doubt you will notice anything different about this one.

RDWHAHB!

Cheers
Preston

Give it 2 weeks in secondary ( maybe put the carboy in a plastic pan/tub of water) at 65deg or so --- should help mellow it out.

Back