• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rings in bottles?

tommiwommi

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Am I being wierd, but I have bottles of a recent batch that leave a slight ring in the necks of my bottles, I know that means (contamination!) I get great reviews from friends and I think it isn't bad at all myself. Am I worrying over nothing, is this a stupid post? If evrything is fine and dandy. I think it's dumb, but want to make sure

This is from contamination as you suspect. Sometimes you may not notice any issues, and other times you will. It depends on the infection. Most of the time it just means that your batch is not as good as it should be. Save a 6 pack and brew the same batch over. Be extra careful about your Processes/Cleanliness/Sanitation. Then compare the two and you should notice a difference.

If all your bottles have the ring the infection most likely happened before bottling. If only some have rings, it is your bottling process.

Cheers
Preston

Preston is correct. At the present time the infection may be very subtle, but give it some time and it will blossom into something horrific. Not much you can do about it now except drink up as fast as possible! :)

Looking it over, I believe it must have been the bottling process that may messed it up (it was one of those crazy times where I was distracted a few times during bottling with stuff around the house)

That was a first for me so far having any problems with my beer (knock on wood) That was batch no.24

Some bottles were fine w/o rings, Some had them. None of us noticed anything wierd between the two (flavors etc.) I thought it would be a good idea to make some phone calls, fire up the grill and drink em' down. I did save a few ringed bottles to see what they might be like in a few months just out of curiosity.

Thanks for all the info everyone

Back