• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Big Brew

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone else doing Big Brew?
Our club is teaming up with the neighboring club at Two Brothers Brewery who is running off the UTAH HB51 grainbill.

Then we are going to add steeping grains, sugars, hops, etc.  I'm planning to do 10 gallons adding jaggery, spliting onto WY1098 and WY1214.

Basic Grain Bill is below

Utah HB51 Collaboration Amber Ale – All-Grain Recipe¹

5 gallon (19 L) yield from a 6 gallon (22.7 L) pre-boil volume

O.G.: 1.045
F.G.: 1.012
IBU: 26

Fermentables
7.75 lb (3.5 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
1.5 lb (0.7 kg) Munich Malt 8° L
0.75 lb (340 g) Cara Munich II 40° L

Hops
0.25 oz (7 g) Columbus, 12% Alpha Acid, for 60 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) Columbus, 12% Alpha Acid, for 35 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Centennial, 9% Alpha Acid, for 5 minutes

¾ tsp (3 gm) Irish moss, for 15 minutes

Our club has a big group brew at our local store (www.ebrew.com) at this nice picnic shelter on the river, in front of the store.  It's a great day.  I think we had 9-10 brewers last year.

We have a Big Batch Brew Bash competition (http://www.thekgb.org/BigBatchBrewBash/tabid/52/Default.aspx Strong Scotch Ale 9E) May 17th. I have an entree going into this one. The grain bill is 25#+ for a 5g batch. My OG was 1.104 and I was able to get a FG of 1.028. It's a very Smooth Malty beer and you can cut the head with a knife. There is a slight alcohol warmth, but you would never know it was 10% ABV! It kind of Sneaks up on you, Next thing you know your wearing a Kilt and wondering where the Bagpipes are coming from!  ;D

Cheers
Preston

Back