• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Oxyclean

M

morrissey1977

I have been using Oxy Clean to remove bottle labels...is there any word on wheather it is a good sanitizer?

Oxyclean isn't a sanitizer but it is a damn good cleaner.  I use it for bottle cleaning and delabeling and also for cleaning out carboys.  I haven't had to use a carboy brush since I've started using it.  Look into Star San or Iodophor for sanitizing.  Personally, I use Star San - It's awesome stuff.

+1 on StarSan, especially if you use OxyClean for cleaning.  Oxy can be slippery and StarSan is like a rinse-aid, leaving no drops and is not slippery at all, nor is it staining as Iodophor can be with plastics.

The other tip is to make only what you need.  I make a gallon at a time with a milk jug. 

I only use oxyclean Free for cleaning duties. I will leave starsan or iodophor for the sanitizing duties.

Back