• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cheap fermenting chamber

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Temperatures here in Orygun are pretty moderate in general, but in the Winter I did have to use a brew belt to warm the wort during fermentation. And with Summer coming I can see the need to cool the wort or provide a cooler space. I envy folks who have a basement. So I'm looking at building a plywood or chip-board box with 2" foam insulation on the inside and be big enough so I could hang a couple of 2 liter bottles of frozen water from the lid (as needed) to cool the interior.

Temperature control in primary fermentation is critical -- so I've invested in Northern Brewers digital temp control system. So coupled with the brew belt to heat and an insulated box with some ice (in the bottles) I should be able to control temps very closely for the 4 - 6 days of primary fermentation. Secondary fermentation I can probably handle by putting the glass carboy in a large plastic tub full of water -- perhaps putting in a frozen 1 liter bottle of water.

I know folks use an old fridge to do this (with a controller) but space is a premium in our garage. And things are tight, with a pay freeze in place (no raise or COLA this year) and a possible job cut.

Feedback is appreciated or any links to systems like this appreciated !!

Brew On

If you Google the words "son of fermentation chiller" you will find links to a foam box design that works well.  I built two of them and recall they cost about $45 in materials - I got the foam sheet for $10 used.  Even if you do something else, it is a workable design from which you might get ideas.  One key benefit is the light weight.  I just hung mine in the garage to get it out of the way. 

MaltLicker said:
.......One key benefit is the light weight.  I just hung mine in the garage to get it out of the way.   (Edit:  see attached pic, hanging from ceiling in garage.)

Attachments

• beerboxinair.jpg
    beerboxinair.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 22
Back