• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cultured Yeast From a Bottle

HoosierDanny

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am attempting to culture yeast from a bottle of Delirium Tremens.  DT will be my next brew and I want to get as close as possible to the original.    I boiled a quart of water and 1/3 cup of DME for 10 minutes, poured it into a gallon jug and let it cool to 60.  I let my bottle of DT warm up to 60 and in the same sterile area and then swirled the beer to get the sediment and poured it into the wort.  For good measure I rinsed the bottle with a few ounces of pre-boiled water and added it to the wort then attached a lock to the jug.

This is my first attempt at this so I was interested in some input on my procedure and tips for stepping it up.  I plan on washing the the yeast from the primary and using it to bottle.  Adding yeast 3 days before bottling is necessary in these beers. 

I'll update as I go if anyone is interested and please if any one can give me tips on stepping this up I'd appreciate it as I really am not sure how to.

Thanks
Danny

I've cultured yeast from a couple of Rogue bottles for a Dead Guy clone I brewed up a few months ago.  I started with two 22oz bottles and left about an inch of beer left in the bottoms.  I added starter wort to the bottles twice before pitching the yeast into a flask.  The first wort was 1 ounce DME and 8oz water.  Once that fermented out I cold crashed and decanted and stepped it up to 2 ounces DME and 16 ounces water.  After that had fermented I had a decent amount of yeast in the bottoms of each bottle and I cold crashed both bottles, decanted and pitched the yeast into a 4oz DME, 32oz water starter (about 1L) and tossed it on the stirplate for a couple of days. 

This was my first time culturing yeast from a bottle and it worked pretty good.  I wouldn't hesitate to try it again using this method.

Hopefully the yeast was still pretty strong. That's a lot of wort for a dormant yeast to be able to handle all at once. Generally I would start with about 50mL of wort, and work my way up from there. Also, using a stir plate helps tremendously. http://www.brewiki.org/StirPlate   <-- That's a link to some plans for building a magnetic stir plate for about $30. It will help you immensely if you decide to continue to grow yeast in this fashion.

Darin

Well as you might have guessed, I have nothing after 36 hours.  Next time I try this it will be after I do a little more research.  Thanks for the input guys.

Danny

Back