• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bitterness Ratio clarification

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So right up front I need to say that I really enjoy my ales on the malty side and pretty smooth. By pure chance the first recipe we did is right down this alley - a basic amber ale - balanced and nice maltiness.

IBU - 23.7
OG - 1.051

Bitterness Ratio - 0.461

So question is - does that ratio value (0.461) become a sweet spot (sorry about the pun) for other recipes ? Should I tweak other recipes towards 0.4 or am I confused on what this number means.

Thanks

It would certainly be a guide in making the next amber.  Let's say you wanted to push the OG up on the next amber ale to 1.061.  The BU:GU ratio of 23.7/51 = 0.46 would tell you to increase the IBUs to 28.6 to keep the same relative bitterness. 

But when changing styles and other ingredients/processes, you may need to adjust it depending on what else you're changing or what the style "expects" for bittering.  A ratio of 0.46 in a wit might be too bitter/hoppy, and an IPA with same ratio might seem lacking in bitterness.  A RIS with a 0.46 ratio might laugh at you and say "you're not worthy."  :D

And the ratio is a good check on cloning a recipe if you must change batch sizes:  if Jamil's APA has a BU:GU ratio of 0.71, then after you get your version finished, you can check your ratio to see if you held that constant.  And then modify from there to suit your tastes. 

Back