• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flat Beer

M

morrissey1977

Hello all, I may have been a little anxiuos and rushed things but I want some imput. I bottled my beer last week today into 12oz bottles. I added 1 "Coopers" tab into each, filled and capped as usual...

NOTE-my 1st time useing Coopers

I had my wife put the works into the fridge this morning so when I came home I could give the new brew a taste. Well boys and girls...it puffed a bit but the two bottles that I opened were flat.

I really would like to save what I can...SUGGESTIONS???

ALSO NOTE-I have never had a problem with one week for carb...

Type: Extract
Date: 4/23/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Chris Morrissey
Boil Size: 1.60 gal Asst Brewer: Ginevra
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (2 Gallon) 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes: 2 weeks - Out of Primary Fermenter - Mild to Moderate Hop flaver and nice smooth flaver of Caramel Malt...This is going to be good one. Bottled into 48 12 oz brown bottles. Pleaced into boxes for the next week.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 82.76 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 13.79 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
5.00 gal New York, NY Water 
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.37 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.03 %
Bitterness: 26.6 IBU Calories: 185 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.6 SRM Color: Color 

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 1.25 lb
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Mash Notes: -
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: 1-Coopers Carbination Tab
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 7.0 days
Storage Temperature: 70.0 F 

Notes

Boil in a Bag Method

This method involves mashing the grains in a fine bag, sometimes made of nylon. Once the mash has completed, sparging can be done by lifting the bag and draining out the wort. The bag is lifted so that the bottom is still in contact with the level of the collected wort( to prevent oxidization of the wort). Sparge water at 65-68 degrees Celsius is then poured through the grains extracting a portion of the left over wort. A suitable sparge volume to use for a 23L ferment batch is 2L.

The efficiency of this sparging method is not as good as that of fly sparging, however the equipment required is not as complex and the efficiencies obtained usually end up in the range 70-80%.

I've never used tabs, but I thought they were 3 per bottle.  A friend uses four per bottle.  I've bottled some extra beer on the fly before and used a full teaspoon of CS per bottle. 

I had read and was instructed to use only one for a 12oz bottle per Cooper and other forums. I am more intrusted in knowing if I can save the beer...ie let condition longer...

Well its been my experience that longer conditioning time (at room temps) improves a lot of things - carbonation included. I've never used carb-drops and I am 2 week man (minimum) prior to even tasting a new brew. I find that 3 weeks is ok and 4 weeks is good.

If you loaded all the beer into the fridge -- then the yeast have gone to sleep and carbonation will stop. Some things cannot be rushed

Not positive, since they were quickly chilled in the fridge they might've been knocked out.  But the odds of carbonation are certainly higher at room temps.  Might as well take at least some of them out and let them sit at room temps.  If you keep any in fridge, just let them ride. 

They were in the fridge for about 6 hrs before I pulled ALL out. I am hopefull that they will turn the corner.

I've been using Coopers for some time now without any issues.  Usually keg 5 gallons and bottle one with the "lemon heads".  However, I've never tried one after a week.  I usually wait about 4 to 6 weeks and let the carbonate near room temperature.

I'm sure you be fine if you just give them some more time at room temperature.  This could be a good time to think about a kegerator!

cheers

Back