• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Classic Brewsheet Template?

denimglen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Where can I find the template for the classic brewsheet?

I love this sheet but would like to see if I could change a few things.  I'd like to see if I could remove the 'Prepare Water' section and then have the salt show up in the 'Mash Ingredients'.  Just a couple little things like that.

Cheers,

denimglen

Most reports are in the BeerSmith\Templates directory.  Some are TXT files and some are HTML. 

If you are customizing a report, I would recommend you copy/paste the original file and re-name it.  Then create a custom report within BSmith under Tools\Options\Reports using that file you've modified.  This will make your new report show up in the drop-down box that you see in the My Recipes view. 

If you just modify the built-in report, then each time you get updates from BeerSmith, it will overwrite the standard report and you lose the changes you made. 

Hi,
  Unfortunately the classic brewsheet is actually hardcoded and not run from a template.  You would need to work from one of the existing templates.

Cheers,
Brad

Attached is my latest modification on the TEXT report.  Once you get the hang of it, you can write any type report you want.  You just have to find the $codes you need.  That's in here:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1465.0

Attachments

• BrewProcess.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 362
Awesome, thanks guys.

Looks like I can just save a recipe as the classic brewsheet and swap out '$xxxxx' for what data is there.  Hope you don't mind BeerSmith :)

One thing that I can't figure out, (new to this XML mumbo-jumbo :p) is it possible to get the water salts I add to the mash to show up under 'mash ingredients', currently they show up under the prep water only, while boil salts show up under both 'boil ingredients' and the water prep.

Off to read your XML tags thread UselessBrewer, hopefully I'll find some enlightenment in there.

Thanks everyone.  It's nice to have a support forum that acutally supports the software unlike so many others out there.

You can put the tags anywhere you want as long as you have the "$____". Let me know if I can help.

Cheers
Preston

Oh yeah, to clarify what I was saying - is there a '$______' tag for the mash salt additions?

I'm getting on pretty well, have given the the classic brewsheet an overhaul, removed stuff I didn't need and swapped a few things around.

Still trying to figure out if there's a way to make the mash salt additions show up under the 'Ingredients for Mashing'.

When I add salts to the boil they'll show up in both 'Prepare water' and 'Boil Ingredients' sections.  While mash additions show up under 'Prepare Water' (as mash additions) but not under the 'Ingredients for Mashing'.  Anyway around this?  This happens in all reports by the looks of it so may be a software thing and not an XML thing?

Thanks everyone.

All the tags I have found to work are here (along with tags that don't):
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1465.msg5862#msg5862
Unfortunately, water additions don't work in the "recipe" data type and therefore don't work on the brew sheet.

Cheers
Preston

Yeah thanks, had a look through that.

Just found a way around it, setting the salt in the recipe to 'other' instead of 'water agent' makes it appear on the list under mash on the brewsheet.

Can you expand on "Other"?

Did you use<other></other> in your brewsheet? If so where did you find that? I have not seen the tag <other> before.

Or did you create a salt entry in your grains?

I just tried the tag <OTHER> and was unable to get it to show up on a test brewsheet. So if you don't mind can you clarify your response please.

denimglen said:
Just found a way around it, setting the salt in the recipe to 'other' instead of 'water agent' makes it appear on the list under mash on the brewsheet.

Cheers

Preston

denimglen is talking about changing the type of the ingredient to be other, not changing the template in any way.  If you open a recipe and double click on the salt addition in your recipe it brings up a dialog box that shows the name, amount, etc.  The second field in there is "Type" and it lets you choose Spice, Fining, Herb, Flavor, Other, and Water Agent.  It looks like there's a bug in BeerSmith about how ingredients of type Water Agent are displayed in the reports.  If you change it to be type "other" then it shows up like any other ingredient in the mash or boil depending on the "Use In" field.

denimglen,
Thanks a million.  This solved the problem I was having so I've just changed the types from the Miscellaneous list.

In to reply almost two months late, sorry guys.

Yes, davelouw is right.

This is the sheet I've been using, slight adjustments only really but makes things a helluva lot easier for me.

Code:
<html>

<head>
<title>$NAME</title>
<font face="Arial">
</head>

<body>

<h1>$NAME</h1>

<center>

<table width="100%%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>
<tr>
<td align="left"><b>Brew Type:</b> $TYPE</td>
<td align="left"><b>Date:</b> $DATE</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="left"><b>Style:</b> $STYLE_NAME</td>
<td align="left"><b>Brewer:</b> $BREWER</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="left"><b>Batch Size:</b> $DISPLAY_BATCH_SIZE</td>
<td align="left"><b>Brewhouse Efficiency:</b> $EFFICIENCY</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td align="left"><b>Boil Volume:</b> $DISPLAY_BOIL_SIZE</td>
<td align="left"><b>Boil Time:</b> $BOIL_TIME min </td>
</tr>

</tbody>
</table>

<table width="100%%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" frame="border">

<tbody>
<tr>
<th width="15%%" align="left">Check</th><th width="85%%" align="left">Step</th></tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$YEAST_STARTERS</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$MASH_INGREDIENTS $STEEP_INGREDIENTS</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$MASH_STEPS</td></tr>
<tr>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$SPARGE_STEPS</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Pre-boil volume: ________ (Estimate: $DISPLAY_BOIL_SIZE)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Pre-boil gravity: ________ (Estimate: $PRE_BOIL_OG with all fermentables added)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>  </td>
<td>$BOIL_INGREDIENTS $STEEP_HOPS</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Cool wort to $DISPLAY_PRIMARY_TEMP</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of $DISPLAY_BATCH_SIZE</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$FERMENT_INGREDIENTS</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: $EST_OG)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: $DISPLAY_BATCH_SIZE)</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Ferment in primary for at $DISPLAY_PRIMARY_TEMP</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>Date: ________

Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: $EST_FG) 
</td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$BOTTLING_INGREDIENTS</td>
<tr>

<tr>
<td> </td>
<td>$DISPLAY_CARBONATION</td>
</tr>

</tbody>
</table>

<b>NOTES</b>

$NOTES
</body>
</html>

Sorry, had nowhere to upload the file.

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Chalk 2.0; Gyp 1.2; CalChlr 1.7; Epsom 1.7; Soda 5.0
C:S = 0.64 bitter.

I use the "Tasting" text field and call it "Water Chemistry Additions" and put my amounts in there.  (As an aside, I did a dark robust porter last week, and forgot to add the minerals.  The initial pH was 5.1 without the chemicals and after I added them the pH was 5.4, so it did move the pH and presumably buffered the acidic roasted grains.) 

BTW - The "attach a file" tool here in the forum is under the Additional Options. 

Thanks guys, GREAT FIND!
I will go back through the listing and see how this affects the tags that are not working.

Much appreciated!

Cheers

Preston

Back