• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Viking Ale - weirdness

D

Daria

OK, so I did way to much research and am making a bath of Viking Ale. Old Norse is more accurate.

1st weirdness - this is a true ale - no hops
2nd weirdness - you put a bunch of juniper branches in the bottom of the mash tun
3rd weirdness - you don't boil it (no hops)

4th weirdness - and the one that I need help with

this Ale is fermented for about 3 days then served still fermenting

how do i get this still fermenting Ale from point A (my house) to point B (3 hours away)

my only thought was maybe they fermented it in a barrel

thoughts anyone?

Daria

My thoughts would be a cask of some kind.

Served while still fermenting? Wow! What kind of yeast are you going to use? That would dictate the flavor of the beer ALOT since you are serving during active fermentation

I would think that it would be a closed fermentation, in that you don't use an airlock. This would give the beer carbonation and help in pouring. Although  That being said, I would use a soda keg. Cut the dip tube 2" off the bottom so you don't suck up any yeast cake and you could use Co2 to transfer it out. I don't know how much carbonation you will have in suspension, but it should be enough to push the beer out.

Interesting project tho!

Cheers
Preston

Back