• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2nd aint't too bad

ml2brew

Brewer
Reaction score
Just want to do a little bragging.

May 9Th I enter my first home brewing competition and scored the second highest scored beer (139 entries) with an oatmeal stout.  This software and the forum have been very educational, and my brewing would not be what it is without this site and software.  Thanks beersmith!

Gee wiz I thought that people would be happy for me.  1st loser out 139.  It is my rookie year.  Maybe your just jealous.  Scored 45.5 out of 50 possible points.  The winner scored 46.  I guess I was under the impression that this forum would rejoice in other's accomplishments.  Especailly since I was self taught through reading alot of waht you guys have to say.  I guess I was wrong and maybe need to start hanging somewhere else if we are going to be pissy. :p 

Maybe you need to post some details / context next time .... since I don't compete in brew-offs I had no idea what you were posting about

ml2brew said:
Gee wiz I thought that people would be happy for me.  1st loser out 139.  It is my rookie year.  Maybe your just jealous.  Scored 45.5 out of 50 possible points.  The winner scored 46.  I guess I was under the impression that this forum would rejoice in other's accomplishments.  Especailly since I was self taught through reading alot of waht you guys have to say.  I guess I was wrong and maybe need to start hanging somewhere else if we are going to be pissy. :p 
Congrats on the high marks! It's always nice to be recognized!

Cheers
Preston

ml2brew said:
Gee wiz I thought that people would be happy for me.  1st loser out 139.  It is my rookie year.  Maybe your just jealous.  Scored 45.5 out of 50 possible points.  The winner scored 46. 

Congrats, and ditto on posting the details.  Is that 2nd BOS in a comp of 139 entries?  I judge and enter a lot of comps myself, so I figured that was your intent, but even when I "right click, show picture" nothing happened.  Maybe you must attach the photo differently. 

It's not for everyone, but I'd like to hear of more people's results from comps, and in particular, learn of any comps from which you received excellent judge's feedback. 

So maybe this now makes more sense.  I cannot figure out how to attach a photo, but any ways.  Feed back...  One of my judges was an employee at my local supplier and the other was Jeremy Kozmiki.  Jeremy is one of the pro brewers at Founders here in Grand Rapids MI.  Both had very positve comments.  Jeremy said that the balance leaned toward hoppy, but also that my beer was a world class representation of the style. 

Side Cart Oatmeal Stout
Oatmeal Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/14/2009
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Brewer: Matt Lamers
Boil Size: 7.38 gal Asst Brewer: Branden Van Dyke
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: 8 gallon ss brew pot 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00
Taste Notes: 

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.54 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 10.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.18 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (338.0 SRM) Grain 5.18 %
5.6 oz Roasted Barley (Briess) (675.0 SRM) Grain 3.63 %
4.8 oz Black (Patent) Malt (471.0 SRM) Grain 3.11 %
0.60 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.35 items Licorice Stick (Boil 30.0 min) Misc 
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc 
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc 
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale 

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.55 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.96 %
Bitterness: 33.7 IBU Calories: 263 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.8 SRM Color: Color 

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.65 lb
Sparge Water: 5.52 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.5 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.06 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.1
Pressure/Weight: 3.1 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 60.0 F 

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

The debate in my own mind is this:  Do I try to change is up and sub out the hops that I used and perfect it or be happy with what I have.  My thought is taking out my current hop and sub in just one addition of nugget at 60 and keep the same bu/gu ratio.  Any thought  I do love your opinions and maybe even a little drama.  Maybe I am pissy ;)

If you open the "Additional Options..." link, you can attach small pix.

Since this was your first comp, let me warn you comps are very inconsistent.  I've had 3rd Place BOS beers get a 13 at the next comp.  And then 1st again at the next one.  Crazy.  It all depends on the judge quality, what other beers are present, and how beers get flighted.  So, on that day, your stout was great, and you should be proud of that. 

Partly b/c of that crazy variance, I view no recipe as sacred, and would try anything I thought would improve the beer.  You did leave 4.5 points on the table, after all.  ;)

MaltLicker said:
Since this was your first comp, let me warn you comps are very inconsistent.  I've had 3rd Place BOS beers get a 13 at the next comp.  And then 1st again at the next one.  Crazy.  It all depends on the judge quality, what other beers are present, and how beers get flighted.  So, on that day, your stout was great, and you should be proud of that. 

I have to agree with MaltLicker on that one. I am a former pro brewer, and have entered A LOT of beers in the GABF, World Beer Cup, LA County Fair, California State Fair, etc. I have had unbelievably mixed reviews. Gold medal beers in one competition don't even make it past the first round in another. It is incredibly subjective. One year at the World Beer Cup I had a Kolsch that was rated a 43, 17 and 24 by three different judges. This was the EXACT same beer. I couldn't believe the varying comments either. One said diacetyl, one said world class, and the other said too hoppy. I used to put a lot of weight on winning medals with my beers, but I have given up on that. If I like it, my friends like it, and the people I'm selling it to (in my former pro years) like it, then it's a good beer. I would say this to you: If you are happy with your recipe, don't mess with it; it could get 1st or 15th next time, and have nothing to do with you messing with the recipe or not. Just keep brewing, and brew beer for the most important person there is: you. After many thousands of gallons, a few medals, and a whole lot of other beers that did not win medals but I am nonetheless immensely proud of, I learned that making beer is something you do for your tastes, not anyone elses. Even if you are a pro.

Darin

Back