• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Any way to "diff" recipes?

pdxpuck

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am really loving the BeerSmith software and can't believe I have survived so long without it. Many thanks, Brad!

One thing I would find helpful is a way to compare recipes. (if this feature exists I haven't found it) I have a top level folder for my original recipes and then a BrewLog subfolder where I put each instance of a batch. I am finding that I would like to compare the tweaks that I made to the BrewLog batches to the original recipe I started with. I suppose I could do this by exporting each to txt and running a diff on them, but is this a feature worth adding to the application? If there are better ways to feedback changes that improve the recipe to the "base" recipe?

I hope some of that makes sense. Ultimately it would be nice to see that that last batch that was so awesome started out with a quarter pound more of base grains than the original recipe called for, and maybe I decided to toss an extra ounce of aromatic hops in at flameout - again, not called for in the original recipe. A summary of the changes would be ideal.

Thanks!

Hi,
  There is no automatic feature, but you could open a second window (right click on a recipe and then select "Preview in New Window") to view two recipes at a time.  It should be pretty easy to see the differences from there.

Cheers,
Brad

aha! I hadn't seen the "preview in new window" option before. That does the trick nicely.  :)

Back