• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is there a way to get rid of acetobacter in a yeast culture?

cavanzo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Colombia, this a country with a small home-brewing tradition, I'm sure we are'nt more than 100 homebrewers in all of the country. this is a reason why I have to import all of my supplies: My malts are from Chile, and my yeast and Hops come fron the US (at really high cost; one sachet of saflager S-23 costs me about $15USD). As you can imagine i'ts quite hard to make culture and convince the people that homebrew is better than Industrial brew.

One of my yeast cultures got infected with acetobacter, I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of that annoying bacteria without harming the yeast, I thought of an acid bath, but i dont think that may work since acetobacter is an acid producing bacteria...

Any Ideas??

Nick.

The only sure way to do it, is to plate your culture on a 50mm petri dish and wait for the culture to grow. Both the yeast and the acetobacter will colonize individually, and you should be able to isolate the pure culture and grow it from there. I've attached both pictures of acetobacter culture and yeast culture growing on a plate. They look pretty different. Good luck!

Darin

Attachments

• Yeast Culture.jpg
    Yeast Culture.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 846
  • acetobacter culture.jpg
    acetobacter culture.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 731
Back