• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Why won't the yeast fall?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My last two batches have been ales that spent about a week and a half in the primary.  The airlock activity slowed to nothing and the gravity has stalled as well.  However when I opened the primary to move it to the secondary there was still a significant amount of yeast on the top.  I'm wondering why it hasn't fallen. 

I've had beers in the past that I let age for over a month there were still little yeast islands that never fell. 

What's going on here?  Its not a big deal as the beer is turning out great but I'm wondering as to what the "stuff" on top is? 

Perhaps even yeast doesn't like to drown!lol..
Like you say, it is nothing to worry about as the gravity is stalled and the beer turns out fine. Some of the krausen is likely floating on the co2 that is slowly being expelled from your ale.
If you are determined to get it to fall, GENTLY rock the fermenter (or you could poke at it lol) and wait a few more days... It should fall outof suspension.

Salute!

What temperature are you letting it age?
Do you have a way to bring the temp down? If your getting it cold enough then the yeast should fall right out.
stevemwazup.

I agree that tempreture may be a factor here. As well as the ype of yeast and the style of beer (Kolsch maybe?) that you are brewing. Cooling it will dramatically slow the yeast into suspension and the cakes on top should fall but you may have to cool it down a lot. This may not be the solution you are looking for since this is ale, and you are still in your primary fermentor. To cool it down without letting it clarify in the secondary first just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You COULD WARM it up a COUPLE degrees and give it some slight agitation to expidite the process.
However; after saying all that I truly believe that the krausen is just floating. No big deal. If you gravity is settled rack into your secondary and don't worry about it. Do your thing wildrover.

Yeah Camel, I'm with you on this one.  Remember that this stuff is still floating after weeks so I'm not of the belief that its something that I really need to worry about.  I was just curious as to why it wasn't all falling.  The beer coming from these fermenters has been really good latley and when I move from the primary to the secondary all the stuff on the bottom as well as on top stays put so probably no biggie regardless

Small bits of kraeusen or hop crud may have tiny CO2 bubbles trapped within. 

Back