• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flaked vs. Malted Wheat

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to make Papazian's Stout recipe that calls for 2 lbs of wheat malt.  I have half a pound of flaked wheat left over from another batch that I'd like to get rid of.  Are there are problems with going 1.5 lbs of wheat malt and .5 lbs of flaked wheat? 

I like to use some flaked as part of the wheat portion on hefes and wits.  I think it adds a different character or depth to the flavor.  I pulverize it in the food processor to ensure it is fully soaked and solubilized in the mash. 

Maltlicker,

Thanks for the response, your post brings up another question, I usually just throw the flaked whatever (wheat, oats etc.) into the mash when the recipe calls for them.  Do you think I should do something to them first.  I'm wondering if some cooking, some type of cereal mash, or even simply running the flaked grains through the mill with the other grains is appropriate?

Thanks

If it is flaked, not cracked, you should be able to add it directly to the mash.  Cracked I would consider a cereal mash.

Fred

Wildrover said:
I'm wondering if some cooking, some type of cereal mash, or even simply running the flaked grains through the mill with the other grains is appropriate?

I think either straight in or milled with the grains works.  I milled flaked stuff at first, but figured the smaller particles would work even better.  In my (previous) smaller batches, I would use 1/4 lbs usually, so quantity may be important.  I figured that if pulverized the flakes disappeared into the water and did not impact my mash tun volume as much. 

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses

So my next batch is going to have some malted wheat (1.5 lbs), some quick oatmeal (10 oz), and some flaked wheat (.5 lbs).  All together these three things account for about 25% of the grain bill.

Would a protein rest or any other kind of mash schedule outside the standard single infusion be appropriate here?  

Thanks again for the help

WR

Wildrover said:
Would a protein rest or any other kind of mash schedule outside the standard single infusion be appropriate here?  

I really liked my last wit, and believe the adjunct rest at 105F helped with the flaked wheat/oats/barley to make it stay cloudy.  All prior wits of mine had gotten crystal clear over time.  I think I doughed in at 105F for 10-15 mins then took it straight up to 154F for the sacch rest.  Grist was 32% flaked stuff and 3% raw spelt flour, so comparable pctg. 

Back