• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beer style list

V

Van Delhotal

I was trying to create an Irish Red Ale which is listed in C. Papazian's book as a style ('guidlines for brewing"), but didn't find a corresponding style in BeerSmith.  Isn't there a standard competition list and does BeerSmith use it?  Thanks, Van

Van,
 The Papazian book is based loosely on the some very old style categories.  There used to be many different style guides here in the US, but eventually these were merged in the late 1990s into the BJCP style guideline.

Unfortunately Irish Red is one of the beers that does not fit neatly into the BJCP guide.

Here's a pretty good recipe from a friend however.  He has it listed as an ordinary bitter for style:

http://beersmith.com/Recipes/Jan_04/jan_recipes_12.htm

Cheers!
Brad

I seem to remember from discussion on another brewing board that Irish Red Ale is now (or, perhaps, once again) a recognized brew style by the BJCP. I tried checking their website (www.bjcp.org), but couldn't find anything. I'll see if I can dredge up anything on that other board.

I tried the BJCP style guide but the version they have is still the 1999 version.

I know that BJCP has had a new draft in the works for some time now, but it appears to me that they have not published the new draft.  Perhaps Irish Red has been added to that draft?

Cheers,
Brad

From beertown.org:

Irish Red Ale
Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.
Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.
Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.
Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.
Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.
Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.044-1.060
IBUs: 17-28
FG: 1.010-1.014
SRM: 9-18
ABV: 4.0-6.0%
Commercial Examples: Moling's Irish Red Ale (sometimes labeled Moling's Traditional Celtic Ale), Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Kilkenny Irish Beer (Smithwick's), Murphy's Irish Red (lager), Boulevard Irish Ale, Harpoon Hibernian Ale.

Back